Thursday, April 2, 2009

What do you want more?

A while back I was asked to speak to a seminary class on a topic of my choosing. I can't remember exactly what I talked about but I used an example that I do remember. Now, I am not sure if I thought of this myself or not, so if you have seen it done before, don't think that I am trying to take credit for something I didn't invent. Anyway, I called up on of the students and pulled out a $10 bill and asked him if he wanted it. Of course he said yes. I then said to him that he could have the $10 now or if he waited until the end of class, and sat quietly throughout my lesson that I would give him $1,000. I then pulled $1,000 in cash from my pocket (We were going on vacation the next day, that is the only reason I happened to have that kind of cash). Of course he agreed to wait and of course I reneged on the deal. But the point was that we so often take the $10. We give up what we want most for what we want now.

That applies to many areas in our lives. As it pertains to the subject of this blog, I was thinking last night about all of the choices I make. Not going to the gym because I'm tired, I'll just eat this one more time, etc. I have started to make a list of the things I want most in this area. My desires for weight loss are not cosmetic at this point in my life. I want to be healthy for my children. I want to be a grandpa. I want to be active and be free to do what I want. I want to get on a plane and not have to stress about getting an isle seat so I have room to lap over. I do not want to be a burden on my family or an embarrassment to my kids. So the question I have to ask myself is this; What do I want more? To take my grandkids on a hike or an ice cream? To be able to walk up a flight of stairs without sweating or a burrito?

I have to get out of the mindset that just one more time won't hurt. That has gotten me where I am. I know what I want more, do you?

1 comment:

MomThatsNuts said...

Hey Jason
I just saw this post today...guess I need to get rid of a couple teenage boys so I get some computer time. Since you posted this we have all had some health issues to deal with, with our parents and ourselves. I think its like when your on an airplane and they tell you to put your 02 mask on FIRST before you put it on your child, because if YOU pass out, you cant help THEM...we put ourselves last ALL THE TIME...time to MAKE time for ourselves, we have to!! We have all this heredity to deal with!!!

Tammy